Monday, December 16, 2013

Giving the Students Freedom - Saving Your Sanity and Getting Results!


Today, I decided to really try out giving my student's a complete list of what I am looking for in an assignment before they begin the assignment. Here's a copy of the page I gave them:
 
As was mentioned, true, this might not be a true rubric, but that is what I called it here (it is more of a checklist only). The concept was that, if the student's knew what they needed to do without marks involved in the discussion as the reward for the work, they would simply do it. Here's how I did it in total: I placed this on their desk. I explained to them that today they were going to create a drawing of the bottom of the ocean and that the drawing had to have these parts in it. I also explained that they needed to define each term (they could do that on a separate piece of paper) and then attach that to the drawing, along with this rubric. I didn't explain any of these terms beforehand to them either, but simply told them they had to find the definitions on their own (textbook, internet, etc.).
 
The concept is that the drawing would show me that they understood what each thing was as they had to draw it correctly (placement wise).
 
I have to admit that it was one of the classes where the majority of the students were consistently on task! I was also very amazed at the work they were able to do on this assignment; everyone that handed the assignment in nailed it! Therefore, everyone got perfect marks on this assignment (how could I give anything else?).  They knew what they needed to show and could keep track of it themselves.
 
As I said before, the rubric concept is front heavy, but sure makes the marking easier at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment